Wednesday, September 3, 2008

reactions to Gov. Palin's speech

You know, I am a little concerned for Joe Biden. Everyone was talking about how good old Joe was going to run circles around the Republican VP nominee. Watch out Joe, you may be in over your head. Here are some of my favorite quotes from her speech to the convention:

Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involved. I guess — I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities.

Well, I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly these last few days that, if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But — now, here’s a little newsflash. Here’s a little newsflash for those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this great country.

Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reason and not just to mingle with the right people. Politics isn’t just a game of clashing parties and competing interests. The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.

And now, I’ve noticed a pattern with our opponent, and maybe you have, too. We’ve all heard his dramatic speeches before devoted followers, and there is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it’s easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or even a reform, not even in the State Senate. This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting and never use the word “victory,” except when he’s talking about his own campaign.


I think I can finally in good conscious cast my vote for John McCain. In the last two elections I have voted Constitution Party. I like their platform and agree with what they stand for. The problem is that with the election looking like it will be so close, I found myself questioning whether I could stay out of the Republican/Democrat fray. I think I can now say that the ticket of McCain/Palin has assuaged my concerns. I do not agree with everything McCain has done. I don't agree with some of his stances and policies. I do not, however, believe that Sarah Palin will just sit in the background and not speak up when McCain is wanting to do something that Conservatives will have major problems with. I think she may be able to balance him and tip the scales in the Conservative direction.

Finally, let me just comment on the commentators tonight. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I turned to MSNBC to see their coverage of the Sarah Palin speech. Over an over again, the main guy at the desk (Keith Olbermann) would make a comment about how Palin's speech was sarcastic, or the wrong tone, or some other negative thing. Then, the reporter on the convention floor would interview someone and say something like this: "Some people have said that Palin's speech was overly sarcastic, what do you think about that?". The clearly orchestrated comments by the talking head and then repeating of his terms to the convention floor was painful, but comical, to watch. It is nice to see that the left wing commentators are finally taking their masks off and really letting people know who they are. The honesty is refreshing. Thanks Keith.

Should be an interesting couple of months. Without a doubt, change is headed to Washington. Let's hope that it is the change that we desire. God bless you all.

Anthony

1 comment:

Terri said...

As you know Anthony, we have a TV, but do not subscribe to any of the many things that could take up our time watching. But for this, the Rep. Convention, we went over to the folks to watch it with them! We were extremely impressed with Palin's speech. Her "little newsflash" told exactly where she is coming from & what she will be doing in Washington. I told Rex I can't wait to hear what Anthony (being from Alaska) thinks about her. And, as we thought, you for the same reasons as us, were glad to hear what she had to say. Appreciate your response to those from other countries that don't like & don't understand America & what our country is really about & what it stands for.
Thank you, Terri & Rex