Sunday, July 20, 2008

Catching up...

OK, so I am finding that I am as good at keeping up with my blog as I am with keeping in touch with my friends (which means not very good). Oh well, I guess I should have known that I wouldn't be any better just because it is digital and I can type it.

Anyway, I had quite the experience a couple weeks ago. For those of you who are not LDS, sorry, but I am going to talk about churchy things. 2 weeks ago, I had the opportunity of ordaining my son to the priesthood. Kyle turned 12 on the 1st of July and so he was going to become a deacon. That is cool in and of itself, however this day was even more special. On the same day, I was able to ordain Chris (our foster son) to get the priesthood as well. Quite the experience. I had the opportunity to baptize Chris not too long ago and he was now getting the priesthood. Both of these experiences was a little different.

First of all, ordaining your son (only son) to receive the Aaronic Priesthood is quite an overwhelming experience. I can't tell you how proud I am of Kyle and how good of a kid he is. He never ceases to amaze me with his level of caring, compassion, and observation. If even a percentage of boys his age have the qualities that Kyle has, then we are in good hands for the future. Being able to pass the priesthood to him that I received from my Father a number of years ago (I can't count that high, so I won't tell you how many years ago that was) was an experience I will never forget. I know that Kyle will magnify his priesthood and be an example to those in his quorum.

About 2 minutes after ordaning Kyle, I had the opportunity to ordain Chris and make him a Priest. An interesting thing has happened as I have had some recent experiences with Chris. I have had the spirit bear stong witness to me that the decisions he has made are what Heavenly Father wants him to do. I have to say there is a bond there and some feelings that I have towards him that I didn't necessarily have before. It has been a great experience.

Well, because Kyle was now a Deacon, I knew they would be asking him to pass the sacrament. I went over a couple things with him and told him that the other Deacons would help him out. He was a little nervous, but ready. I was finishing something up, so I had to send Gusti and Kyle and Chris over to the chapel without me. About 5 minutes later, Gusti texted me and said I better hurry and get over there because both Kyle and Chris were passing the sacrament for the first time. I wasn't finished, but I left what I was doing and ran over to the church (couldn't miss it...) and made it in time. I can't put into words the feelings I had watching them both pass the sacrament. Kyle picked up on things quickly, but Chris was having some issues. I wasn't sure what to do to help him, but I was spared the need to intervene because one of the members of the ward stood up and guided him for a couple minutes until he had it down. Then he let him finish on his own. I love this ward. We have people who care about others and help out when needed. This was just another experience in a long list of experiences like this.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know about this. I won't ever have the chance to do this again, and it was a great time.

I will update you again soon (maybe even today, I have more to write). I think I am going to end my posts with something a local talk show host uses to sign off every day.

God bless you, God bless the United States, keep your chin up.

Anthony

No comments: